Monday, January 01, 2007

Don't Recognize the Times That It Says Are Mine

I'm a bit depressed looking over country feedback's best of 2006 list along with all the others because I realize how much I've really missed this year. I resolve to stay much more current in 2007. With that said, I did actually pick up a few new albums this year and here are my favorites of 2006:

Jon Auer Songs From The Year of Our Demise1. Jon Auer - Songs From The Year of Our Demise
My reaction to this album transcends any year actually. It is easily one of my favorite albums in the last 5 years, if not 10. The material is dark and introspective with a definite recurring theme of mortality, whether pertaining to life or relationships. Nonetheless, you can definitely hear that one of the Posies was responsible for this because it is well grounded in hooks and melody. I think it came to me at the right time in my life because I had quite a personal response to it. Now it will forever remind me of the huge life changes my family and I have seen this year. A true masterpiece.
MP3: Six Feet Under
MP3: Four Letter Word

2. Pernice Brothers - Live a Little
I didn't even own this one a month ago and now it's easily no. 2 on my year-ender. What an incredible pop album. I've heard about him for many years, but now I know first-hand that Joe Pernice is a popcraft genius. The tunes and the lyrics make for a nearly perfect album. What makes me so happy is that now I can travel back in time and discover each release that I've missed. That will make my new year!
MP3: Somerville

3. L.E.O. - Alpacas Orgling
This one is extremely fun and quite well done. A power pop supergroup led by Bleu set out to create an album that essentially was an homage to ELO. I never thought this would actually ever be released, but thankfully it was and they succeeded in their goal and then some. Jeff Lynne has to be beaming with pride wherever he is. And it was so good to hear Andy Sturmer singing lead vocals for part of a song. Very awesome all around.
Stream at theirspace

4. Roger Joseph Manning Jr. - The Land of Pure Imagination / Solid State Warrior
As great as it was to hear one of the two principal Jellyfishers back with a solo album, it just wasn't instant for me. At first, I thought it lacked a certain edge that only Sturmer's sarcasm and wit could bring. But then the more I listened, the more submerged I became in the syrupy and goopy pop goodness I expect from Manning.
Stream here

5. Wisely - Parador
I never even heard of this guy until Not Lame sent me a special email telling me it's the best album of the decade. Well, I'm used to this type of hyperbole from Not Lame so I didn't think much of it, but then I listened to the album and they were nearly right. It's a grown-up album as odd as that sounds. It's just so well crafted and musically diverse that it's the type of album (I keep saying album because it is a nice complete work) that you can stop listening to it for a few months until a tune pops up on shuffle and you wonder why you stopped listening in the first place. The best part? The cover is an artistic rendering of a poppy. Very nice.
Video: Parador

With the top five out of the way, here are a few more:

Nice to hear from you again:
The Beatles - Love
The Charlatans UK - Simpatico
Gin Blossoms - Major Lodge Victory
Guster - Ganging Up On The Sun
Keane - Under the Iron Sea
Mates of State - Bring It Back
Snow Patrol - Eyes Open
World Party - Dumbing Up
Pete Yorn - Nightcrawler

Not so much:
Glen Phillips - Mr. Lemons
A cover of I Want a New Drug?! Man, talk about jumping the shark!

Still waiting for my copy from Japan:
TV Eyes

Local guys done good:
The Envy Corps

Top Ten Most Played Tunes between December 1, 2005 and December 31, 2006:
1. Jon Auer - Sundown
2. Nada Surf - Always Love
3. Guster - One Man Wrecking Machine
4. Jon Auer - Six Feet Under
5. Jon Auer - Bottom of the Bottle
6. The Charlatans UK - When the Lights Go Out in London
7. Dixie Chicks - Not Ready to Make Nice (my Since U Been Gone of 2006)
8. Jon Auer - Song Noir
9. Wisely - Parador
10. Snow Patrol - Open Your Eyes

I told you I liked Jon Auer!

Happy New Year!

No comments: